Thursday, August 30, 2012

Give Thanks to The Dragon (Updated: This is not the MR you have been looking for)

UPDATE: This entire post is incorrect.  The CPM calculation was done incorrectly because of my inexperience using MileCalc.  Actual CPM is about 2x what's in this post and therefore NOT mileage run territory (rule of thumb is 3.5 CPM).  Lesson learned.

A trip that I wish I could take...  Have I ever mentioned how much I love Kayak's Explore feature?

Searching on Kayak, if you've got some serious free time or are completely mobile (e.g. you work completely online or don't have a job) and aren't afraid of spending some money on an adventure over the Thanksgiving holiday and then some... well, there are plenty of opportunities over the Thanksgiving holiday for mileage runs!

Today's run is from New York, NY to Shanghai, China.  As in, the People's Republic of.  Mileage?  Oh, only at least 29,500 miles.  On United's non-stop.  For $10 less, you can get on one of Air Canada's flights with 3 stops between the two legs (there and back again, of course!).  All inclusive price? $780 for Air Canada.  $790 on United's non-stop.  That works out to, at most, 2.67 cents per mile.  You can bring that down by paying with a mileage earning card, which makes this a pretty fantastic deal.  If you have the time and don't mind missing Thanksgiving in the States.

Personally, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  I'd certainly love to celebrate it in Shanghai or Istanbul, but I'm not sure I could spend that much money just to spend time away from my family.  Thought someone might want to know about it though, as it's a decent mileage earning opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment